This domain was established along the Roman road “Via Aurelia” in the heart of Provincia during the 10th Century : long before Giovanni Bellini (the Venetian artist) or Vincenzo Bellini (the Sicilian composer) or the cocktail Bellini (from Harry’s Bar in Venice) had yet been born.
The Château is situated on a bluff overlooking a large watery area, Fontlade. It was frequented by the Counts of Provence who were resident in nearby Brignoles. It also gave shelter to St Thomas Aquinas in 1252 when he moved from the University of Naples to Notre Dame in Paris.
Chateau Bellini sits in the middle of 120 hectares of oak forests with 35 hectares of vines on chalk and clay terraces which are covered in small stones and surrounded by oak forests. This region has a continental climate of hot dry summers with cool nights followed by relatively cold winters with substantial frost and pleasant days. These ideal conditions have lead to its long tradition of wine making, originating with the Ligurians and followed by the Romans.
In celebration of the 500th anniversary of Giovanni Bellini’s death, in 2016, a complete renovation was started to bring the estate back to its original beauty, to upgrade the vineyards, and to modernize the cellar.
This is a winery where history, terroir, and modern techniques combine to produce extraordinary vins de Provence: elegant yet full bodied reds, aromatic and dry rosés, along with fresh and flowery whites.